Sunday, May 14, 2006

Dessert of the day

In response to:

...It’s about cultural exchange, where people can use blogs to swap culturally significant foods (and other items) from their area. I'd love to get some people from Hong Kong involved! I hope you like it, we’d appreciate a post if you do...

I have decided to share this with you:


Egg tart is one of the most popular Cantonese pastries but its history is short. It has been suggested that an egg tart, inspired by the English fruit tart, was a promotional pastry introduced in Guangzhou in the 1920s. Thanks to the competition among shopping malls and restaurants, chefs had to prepare a new pastry every week to attract customers. One of these weekly pastries is an egg tart which has swiftly gained its popularity throughout southern China. The original tart was elliptical in shape, in contrast with the round shape commonly found today. It was believed that egg tart was introduced in the 1940s by Hong Kong's western bakeries.

Don't have a cantonese restaurant nearby? Make one yourself! Click here.

Best served with chinese tea. Enjoy!



Got anything to share? Go to Gimme Your Stuff for more information.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lori Witzel said...

Hi there -- although I don't know that Egg Tart will ship well, if you can think of anything else local and delicious that would (think jars, cans, tins, things like cookies/biscuits) I will swap for something from Central Texas.

;-)

I'm listed on Gimmeyourstuff...

Lori

2:38 am, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Eau said...

Lol, I don't eat tinned/canned food. But let me think about it.

Hong Kongers help me out here?! Abalone? Haha!

Felix

7:09 pm, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Lori Witzel said...

Eeewwww, abalone?!
;-)

BTW, thanks for visiting, and yes, it was about to rain...now if I can only learn how to wrestle control of the depth of field BACK from my new camera to me...

If you think Egg Tarts will ship, then go for it!

7:35 pm, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Rikki said...

Hey do you have any cool chinese candy? drop me a line at mail@gimmeyourstuff.com if you'd like to swap!

5:24 pm, May 19, 2006  
Blogger Eau said...

Hey guys, go to my Frappr map and add yourself at:

http://www.frappr.com/overtherainbow

Let me know where (exactly) you guys are and we can also chat there!

2:25 pm, May 22, 2006  
Blogger Danielle Lemons said...

Hello! I live in the US in the southwestern state of Arizona and would be willing to swap anything interesting that's localized to your area. I'd be able to get anything American or Mexican for you since I live close to Mexico. I'd really be interested in swapping "knick-knack" type items-like small figurines or decorative items.

2:02 am, May 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many, many years ago when, as a child, I used to visit my godmother in Hong Kong I used to love dried pork and a kind of dried prune which was almost sour. I have no idea what they were called, but if you know what I'm describing and can help out I would be happy to send you something from the UK ... homemade strawberry jam, homemade gooseberry jam or cordial (from home grown gooseberries :) ) or whatever? Alternatively, I would love any chinese papers, nothing fancy or special, just colourful and maybe with chinese characters - I would like them for my altered art work and scrapbooking so it's the colour and contrast not the content that's important :)

6:17 am, June 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh what about those sweet red pork slices? they will store well and are easily packed :)

9:53 pm, July 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i'm from singapore and i would love to do a trade with you. let me know if there's anything you like from singapore. all i want from hong kong is maybe a magazine or a few magazines about sneakers/fashion. my boyfriend is a huge fan of nike and would love anything related to that. let me know!

ludwigvonpooface@gmail.com

10:01 pm, July 24, 2006  
Blogger mommytwink said...

I live in Indiana , United States. I have key chains, stickers, free hand outs,clothing, maps, odd and ends, wallnuts, bracelets, just ask. We love surpises. We like pens and pencils with ads on them, junk mail ads, stickers open to just about any things. Love all kinds of food. http://flashbit.us/family/family.htm to see more about us.
Thanks
Michelle

2:15 am, August 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home